Monday 14 July 2014

Caesar's veterans

The first of Caesar's Romans proper:
The mounted legate is by Navigator, and almost all the others are by Companion Miniatures.
A full frontal shot, if you know what I mean...
...and how they look to the opposing player.  I have another legion to do like this with cloaks to denote campaign veterans.  I'll maybe do the next legion slightly differently, with darker shades of red for the men's cloaks, while command staff will stay with scarlet.

The total so far for 2014 is 376 foot, 106 mounted and seven elephants painted.  I was intending to start the next legion, but my order of LBMS transfers went awry.  While I wait for those to arrive, I'll paint a dozen Aventine cataphracts for Willie.  I'm looking forward to these.

10 comments:

  1. Really nice, Paul! Looks like a legion. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent work and most impressive second picture!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice - the vibrant reds and photography are breathtaking. No wonder so many folks like Rep. Romans. Best, Dean

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hail Caesar indeed. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for looking, folks. I was hoping these would turn out nasty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great stuff Paul what is the Red you are using?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brian, believe it or not, the basecoat is absolute rubbish. It's a great big tune of really cheap acrylic crimson red by Crawford & Black that I bought in a Publishers' Warehouse (cheap book shop) in Glasgow. They do a small range of basic acrylics that are really good for basecoats - I use their white and black as well. I'd rather have these than really expensive modelling paints when I have large areas to cover. The highlight colour, though, is more expensive - a tube of artist's Golden Open Acrylics red. It's pretty thick stuff, but I'd rather have a paint that needs some extra water. These tubes still work out a lot cheaper than craft or model paints, and they last for ever - I can't even see the lettering on mine any more! I think it was called 'cadmium red'.

      Delete
  7. Fantastic Paul! Your first two shots make me think I've broken the tethers of time and space. If I actually ever saw this sight, I'd run if I wasn't a Roman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Monty - I suppose that's the effect I was aiming for!

      Delete